Wednesday, July 11, 2012

End of year... 2!

Well, dusting off the ole keyboard today and getting back into blogging sounds like the plan for today.  I started this blog almost 2 years ago to document my life as a first-year teacher.  Seeing that I am now a soon to be 3rd year teacher, I'd say I'm overdue for some posts!  To catch you up, I've been teaching Spanish 1 & 2 for the past two years at a small rural high school in Ohio.  I have to say while the job definitely has its ups and downs, overall I love my job.

Highlights of Año 1:

  • Surviving :)
  • Teaching an awesome group of students who made my job easy
  • Having the only classroom with air-conditioning! (don't worry- that was short lived :( )
  • Creating relationships with colleagues that are both strong in school and out
  • Being asked to coach JV cheerleading
  • Chaperoned the 10th grade trip to 
Highlights of Año 2:

  • Being trained in the Olweus Bullying Prevention Program, and becoming a trainer for my school
  • Coaching JV cheerleading, and being promoted to Head Coach
  • Two planning periods :)
  • Slowly worked at perfecting pacing for my classes, and actually got a through a lot more content with both my 1's and 2's
  • Only 4 failures for the year!
  • At the end of the year, having a 95% retention rate of Spanish 1 students moving on to Spanish 2
  • Nominated by my school as a County Rookie of the Year teacher (an honor given to only 1 teacher in each school district)
  • Continued to develop relationships with my fellow staff
There were I'm sure many more, but that is all I can brainstorm right now.  It feels so good to reflect and share my experiences.  I plan to add a post soon about some of the "lowlights" of the past two years, and also some goals/changes I want to make for the upcoming year.

Feel free to share thoughts/advice for me about teaching/blogging/life :)

1 comment:

  1. Nice posts!!

    I too have worked with the Olvewus program. One day we have to sit down and compare notes on it.

    Good Job and looking forward to more posts!

    :-)

    ReplyDelete